The Bus Stop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good Friday

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
memories
Regular
Regular
memories

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 pm

History And Origin Of Good Friday

The history and origin of Good Friday does not languish into oblivion. It's as alive and fresh in our hearts as it was centuries back. How can anyone possibly forget the darkest day when our Lord God, Jesus Christ, was crucified with unflinching cruelty and brutal vigor by the Romans ? 'Feria VI in Parasceve', as called in the Roman Missal, 'Charfreitag', as called in German, 'he hagia kai megale paraskeue', as referred to in the Greek liturgy and 'Holy Friday' in Romance language, Good Friday is a day to offer silent prayers and observe abstinence of all sorts--both mental and physical. In English, the Friday which falls on the Holy week is known as 'Good Friday'. The significance of Good Friday is enormous as it was on this very day that Jesus, the son of God, forgave the sinners before drawing his last breath at the cross. In memory of Jesus, and to pay respect to his sufferings, the Christians keep fasts on Good Friday, no light is lighted at the churches and the Christian world is enveloped in a dark cowl.

On a Good Friday, no church bells ring, and there is a vast spread of calm and quiet. All ornamentations are stripped off, making the houses and churches look bare and to underline the predominant atmosphere of mourning. So why is this Friday called 'Good' ? No one knows for sure how the term 'Good' was pre-fixed with 'Friday'. Some say that it was originally called 'God's Friday' which then changed into 'Good Friday', while some maintain that it is from the German 'Gute Freitag'. The Anglo-Saxons call it the 'Long Friday'.

Now, Jesus earned enemies after he returned to Jerusalem and was heartily welcomed by the common people. Afraid of losing their power and authority, the Roman rulers sought it best to get rid of him. So Jesus was unjustly condemned of treason and was consequently punished. Judas--the name behind the historic betrayal--succumbed to temptation and betrayed Jesus for a mere thirty pieces of silver. The punishment 'bestowed' on Christ thereafter was attributed to those who would violate the rules of the Roman Empire. And Jesus's fault ? He claimed that he was the son of God and would preach his beliefs and works as a healer. This awoke offence against him in Palestine and ultimately he was tried and sentenced to death in Golgotha. Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Striking and unbelievable as it might seem, Christ again rose on Sunday (the Easter Sunday), and the world witnessed his immortality and the towering spirit of goodness that can never be done away with. This was his Resurrection.

His preachings, like him, are eternal too. He was a teacher, guiding his disciples by the plethora of knowledge and understanding that he had in his command. He preached how to forgive people for their sins and thereby rise above all mundane frivolities. He spoke nothing but the Truth. The last seven sentences spoken by Christ after he was crucified hold great significance.

"Father , forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."
(Luke 23:34)

"Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."
(Luke 23 :43)

"Woman, here is your son�.Here is your mother"
(John 19:26)

"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?"
(My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?)
(Mark 15:34)

"I am thirsty"
(John 19:28)

"It is finished"
(John 19:30)

"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit"
(Luke 23:46)

These words were addressed to God, his Father. It clearly indicates Jesus' will to seek God while he took his last few breaths. It throws light on the unending faith and belief that Jesus had on the Divine, the Supreme.
Back to top Go down
K3nn3th
Regular
Regular
K3nn3th

Male Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:17 pm

yea i like to thanks god for giving me good friday and will countine to pary for good monday, tueday, wedenday, thursday too!
Back to top Go down
memories
Regular
Regular
memories

Male Number of posts : 224

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 am

lolx yeah nice 1
Back to top Go down
LestatWQ
Veteran
Veteran
LestatWQ

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-11-21

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 4:44 am

Yeah, keep praying alright...
Back to top Go down
MXN
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 157

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 1:54 am

Why people believe in God?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Good Friday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Friday   Good Friday Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Friday
Page 1 of 1