The Bus Stop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Genetics and upbringing in education

Go down 
+2
ColdRain
cutelonelyguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cutelonelyguy
Trainee
Trainee
cutelonelyguy

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Genetics and upbringing in education Empty
PostSubject: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:05 am

K guys just wnat ur opinion on this.Ive read this from a book

ok 2 scenarios

Boy A has a library at home, comes from a rich family, both his parents hold high postions in thier jobs, this boy never bothers to eevn read a single book. Boy A dislikes reading
Boy B comes from an average income family, but his parents bring him to the library 3 times a week. Boy B loves to read

Both are from the same country and are same age. Now you will wonder if they were both to take the same IQ test who will score higher?

The answer given in the book was boy A, the explanation was that boy A's parents are rich, well to do and intelligent, boy A inherited this intelligence. In the case of boy B, despite going to the library 3 times a week he scored relatively lower to boy A. the explantaion was taht boy B's parents werent well off, in other words werent as inteligent as boy A's parents and there fore boy B scored lower.

Another example is that adopted kids from birth despite being raised by well todo parents scored lower on average than other kids. The explanation here is that babies open for adoption came from poor and not well todo parents, this parents usually score lower in IQ tests so naturally thier kids will score lower too.

There are TONS more of examples and studies doen which im too lazy to type here

Anyways you see alot of parents doing thier best to make thier kids smart, pushing them tuition,reading with them, giving them herbal soup taht supposedly makes u smarter.. etc etc. Do you think all this effort is useless? based on what i read it says that genetics seems to be like the only factor here.

To me i believe genetics really play an important role, because like in Malaysia the chinese score higher than malays in IQ test on average, BUT i dont believe genetics is 100% the only determining factor. im sure upbringing plays a part too... maybe 30%? what do u guys think?

cheers!!
Back to top Go down
cutelonelyguy
Trainee
Trainee
cutelonelyguy

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2007-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 am

ugh i got so many typos...pls forgive me..
Back to top Go down
ColdRain
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:08 am

methinks its not the end of the world.

+ 1 before " i disagree"
Back to top Go down
funniegal
Veteran
Veteran
funniegal

Female Number of posts : 1174
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 am

The rich family can afford the best for the child, tutors, supplements, blah blah blah. They say if u eat lots of fish, it help in brain development. Vit B helps keep u alert. He may not be reading much but maybe he's using his brain some other way.

The boy who come's from the average income family, well..maybe he's busy helping family earn money.
Back to top Go down
furukawa
Regular
Regular
furukawa

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 am

stupid peasants...! Get out of my elitist uncaring face!
Back to top Go down
Merre
Regular
Regular
Merre

Female Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:36 pm

hmm, I thought when last I read about genetics, it was that two clever parents does not equal to a clever child.
Back to top Go down
MXN
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2007-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:08 am

Does 2 idiots give birth to a retard?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genetics and upbringing in education   Genetics and upbringing in education Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genetics and upbringing in education
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Bus Stop :: General :: Chit-chat-
Jump to: